FOCAL International Awards – Eligibility Criteria and Guidelines
BEST ARCHIVE RESTORATION & PRESERVATION
PROJECT OR TITLE:
Whole Restoration projects, whether multiple or single title, will be considered and the best awarded accordingly. Restoration work of film or video tape will be considered.
The recipient of this award are the library / archive and / or technical facility which has restored and preserved archival moving image content, whether single or multiple connected titles, originating on film or video.
Supporting visual material is required. For example, illustration of restoration work in progress, and a copy of the complete restored work, which should include a fully authored BLURAY or DVD as produced for public viewing, or other medium where appropriate. The work should have been completed and made accessible or been published within the qualifying calendar year (2018).
Works in progress should not be submitted but we encourage you to submit the completed project the following year.
As part of your submission, you will be asked to include a statement that explains:
- The element(s) used for restoration, stating gauge and nature and specific problems associated with them e.g. damage, dispersal of elements and the complexity of reconstruction (a maximum of 100 words)
- Original and restored aspect ratio and format (a maximum of 100 words)
- When the highest quality version of the project/title was last available. How this current version differs from previous versions. For example, in completeness and improvement in quality (a maximum of 100 words)
- Where the work was carried out for each title, (including labs and facility houses). A breakdown of the location of the work where are multiple titles in an entry (a maximum of 100 words)
- The methodology that was used (a maximum of 100 words)
- The preservation elements that have been generated and where they will be stored (a maximum of 100 words)
- How and where the restoration has been presented and made available to the public (a maximum of 100 words)
Supporting visual material is required with the completed entry form.
As a not-for-profit trade organisation, we charge an entry fee to enable FOCAL to cover costs of delivering the competition and annual awards ceremony. All Restoration and Preservation submissions will be charged an early bird fee of £65 (+ VAT) if entering prior to January 11th 2019. From January 12th 2019 and until the submissions deadline, the normal entry fee per category is £80 (+VAT). Please note that you must have submitted and paid for your submissions prior to January 11th 2019 to be eligible for the early bird discount.
We are also able to offer the following discounts for entering multiple entries. When entering two submissions, you will receive 10% off the total submission price. When entering three submissions, you will receive 15% off the total submission price. The discount of 10% or 15% will apply to both the early bird and normal entry fee price, whichever is relevant, at the time of submission.
Any discounts will automatically applied to the invoice when submitting your entries.